Since you’re going to wear braces for a half year or more, why not have some fun with them? Now you can- with coloured braces. In today’s fashion- conscious world, convey your inner-you by wearing colourful braces. Many patients today are opting to make a statement with braces that come in many cool colours. This can be an exhilarating and liberating experience since braces play such an important role in your physical appearance and self-confidence.
Am I Locked Into My Decision?
But how do I know that what I feel about the colour of my braces today is the way I will feel later? Don’t worry- a great opportunity occurs about every 6-8 weeks when it’s time to adjust your braces. Then, the changing of elastic bands will give you the opportunity to change your colour scheme. That means that you can really get in the spirit of a special holiday and show it when you smile. Think red and green at Christmas or black and orange for Halloween. Some patients are bold and even choose two colours! Why not, you can always switch later.
How Can I Change The Colours Later?
Braces involve many parts including the brackets and the elastic and rubber bands that surround the brackets. It’s the tiny elastic bands that allow you the freedom to choose coloured braces for your mouth. We will give you many choices from a colour wheel. Some patients get colour ideas even online! Warning: If choosing your colour online, be aware that the actual colours appear lighter than in reality in our office.
Helping You With Your Colour Choice
Having coloured braces is not only a fun decision. There are some practical reasons, too, for choosing braces that are colourful- especially if you are a fan of colourful foods. Choosing the right colour braces means that people won’t have to know what you just ate because sauces and bits of food will be camouflaged by colourful braces. Here are some things to consider when choosing the colour for your braces:
- For darker skin tone, stick with gold, dark blue, violet, orange, green, or even pink
- If you’re a lighter skin tone, choose from bronze, light blue, darker purples or blues and subdued reds or pinks
- Darker colours will make your teeth look whiter
- Do choose colours that bring out your eyes
- Fashion alert: avoid the lighter colours. They make your teeth look yellow
- Go crazy! Choose your school colours or those of your favourite team
- How about the colours of your flag to show your patriotism?
- Choose braces colours that go with the colour of your favourite clothes
Are there Any Colours To Avoid?
- Black: It looks like cavities or food stuck in your teeth
- White: Stains more easily and as mentioned it will make teeth appear more yellow
- Yellow: It will accentuate the problem above
- Greens or Browns: Will also make it look like you’ve got food stuck in your teeth
- Alert: If choosing your colour online, be aware that they appear lighter than in reality
Final Words On Colour Braces
While the temptation may be there for you to go wild with colours, consider that sometimes it is prudent to go with neutral colours. Silver, grey, and clear coloured bands won’t make your teeth appear any whiter, they also won’t put bring attention to any of the stains in your teeth. As always, it is best to avoid coffee, tea, and dark sodas to prevent stains on your teeth and potentially altering the colour of your bands. The professionals at Forest & Ray can implement any colour choice you make. But we remind you that it is still up to you to maintain good oral hygiene habits regardless of your colour choice.